TP/SL cannot be more than 500,000 pips

Created at 09 Jan 2021, 04:06
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
PR

prosteel1

Joined 04.07.2018

TP/SL cannot be more than 500,000 pips
09 Jan 2021, 04:06

ICMarkets has BTC/USD with two decimal places and when I tried to change the TP to more than $5000 I got an error.

ICMarkets says it is coded into cTrader. Can this limit please be removed or substancially increased?

The main issue is when running a cBot if the TP or SL is more than this limit then the TP or SL wont be set and could result in a trade without a SL.

While I was able to manually set the TP to the price I wanted when the price went down, when it went back up I couldn't change the SL as the TP was more than 500,000 pips.

This also applies to cTrader Desktop.

@prosteel1
Replies

EagleMoxy
09 Jan 2021, 15:14 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:22 )

RE:

interesting, good pick up.

prosteel1 said:

ICMarkets has BTC/USD with two decimal places and when I tried to change the TP to more than $5000 I got an error.

ICMarkets says it is coded into cTrader. Can this limit please be removed or substancially increased?

The main issue is when running a cBot if the TP or SL is more than this limit then the TP or SL wont be set and could result in a trade without a SL.

While I was able to manually set the TP to the price I wanted when the price went down, when it went back up I couldn't change the SL as the TP was more than 500,000 pips.

@EagleMoxy

prosteel1
09 Jan 2021, 16:13 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:22 )

RE: RE:

EagleMoxy said:

interesting, good pick up.

prosteel1 said:

Honestly the way that stoploss and take profit is handled in ctrader should be completely re-written. Out of the past 2.5 years that I have been writing my cbot, I have spent 12 months of that figuring out how to prevent trades from going through without a stoploss.

I think the whole concept needs to be re-visited - most of my code is based around checking if a position doesn't have a TP or SL but still I run into situations where this happens. 

I do think that Spotware should rework this whole concept because what is in place now simply has so many holes it's not funny.

The main issue is that if a TP or SL is sent to the server and it is not accepted there is no way to know if it was successful or not.

Should I be doing my position modifications a different way perhaps? I haven't tried using a try or catch.

Either I need to change how I write my code or cTrader needs better SL and TP code. Which is it?

Even a few days ago I had to write a fix for a bug where if I placed an order with a entry price and tp and sl but while they were all valid at the time the order was placed, at the instant that the order was filled the spread was so large that the ask price hit the long order but the bid was below the SL and so the SL wasn't set, my fix was to close the position. Seriously, still after years I am still finding these bugs where TP and SL are not set.

While I keep looking for and finding these TP/SL bugs and writing fixes, I think they should be fixed on the server side because there doesn't seem to be a limit on the number of situations where they can occur. I am finding these situations every week or two atm.

Sorry for the rant, I just don't know where this ends. 

@prosteel1

PanagiotisCharalampous
11 Jan 2021, 11:20 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:22 )

RE:

prosteel1 said:

Hi prosteel1,

I have sent this issue to the product team for investigation and resolution.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram

@PanagiotisCharalampous