Memory Leaks

Created at 13 Dec 2013, 07:40
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!

Hyperloop

Joined 23.10.2013

Memory Leaks
13 Dec 2013, 07:40

When will the memory leaks be patched up?

Right now, if I run 30 instances, within 12 hours, the RAM usage goes from 1.2GB to 6.7GB.

This is a really big deal especially for traders who have their operations on a VPS or co-located.

@Hyperloop
Replies

cogs
13 Dec 2013, 09:55

I thought there could have been a leak prob.

I made enquiries about this and was told I just need a min of 1gB RAM to fix it. I never had much in the first place but it seemed to get decay over time.

@cogs

jobenb
13 Dec 2013, 11:33

Not acceptable

I cannot help but feel that cAlgo is the last priority on Spotware's list, but what they don't realise is that this can really set them apart from the other platforms. I love what they have done so far, but I do expect more from a fully code reviewed agile work environment as theirs. When will these issues be fixed to make cAlgo faster and more efficient?

Please do not leave this for later as I have seen so many projects struggle to fix these issues when left for too late when the memory leak cancer takes over. When something is open, please make sure you close it properly and load / process stuff in batches not all lump sum into memory as is currently the case with your backtester.

@jobenb

Spotware
13 Dec 2013, 12:48

We assure you that we are working on this. We apologize for all the inconvenience.

@Spotware

Hyperloop
03 Jan 2014, 03:18

RE:

Spotware said:

We assure you that we are working on this. We apologize for all the inconvenience.

Do you guys have a rough estimate of when these leaks will be repaired? I cannot trade live until this is fixed.

1.6GB RAM -> 8GB overnight is ridiculous. I have to restart the terminal every morning; something that I should not have to worry about as an algo trader (already have enough to do). I plan to use VPS/Co-location services for live trading. I cannot afford to restart every day.

@Hyperloop

Spotware
03 Jan 2014, 14:43

According to our tests there are no memory leaks. There could be a problem with your code. Please check/modify your code and see if it helps. If you need help please email your code to engage@spotware.com.

@Spotware

jeex
03 Jan 2014, 16:27 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:20 )

That's the question

My knowledge of these things is limited, but when i look at the memory uasge in Windows, something really is wrong in cAlgo. See these 4 screen shots:

1. cAlgo freshly started with only one pair on a simple indicator that uses Ichimoku and simply compares some values of the indicator and the MarketSeries.
  2. The same indicator with 9 pairs: 452 Mb used.
  3. After closing eight of the pairs , the used memory is not set free, but rises a bit.
  4. Then when i reopen some pairs, more memory is being claimed.

This also happens with simple robots: they claim memory but do not give it back after closing. And that has nothing to do with the code of the indicators or robots themselves.

Like Hyperloop i have to restart cAlgo and the robots regularly to make sure that cAlgo or Windows do not crash.

@jeex

Hyperloop
03 Jan 2014, 23:53

Try spam compiling scripts, it does the same thing as well.

@Hyperloop

Spotware
07 Jan 2014, 11:14

We have identified the issue and the fix is currently in progress. Thank you for your report.

@Spotware

jeex
07 Jan 2014, 16:56

less

That is good news as this point almost drives me back to MT4. Will it be less memory consuming also, or is that impossible?

@jeex

Cerunnos
07 Jan 2014, 17:26

Parallels

Can it be that cAlgo together with Parallels (Windows 7 & Mac) makes Problems? The fan of my MacBook Pro (i5 CPU + 8MB RAM) is extremely loud after the start of cAlgo. A normal work is almost impossible ...

@Cerunnos

jeex
08 Jan 2014, 10:26

RE: Parallels

Cerunnos said:

Can it be that cAlgo together with Parallels (Windows 7 & Mac) makes Problems? The fan of my MacBook Pro (i5 CPU + 8MB RAM) is extremely loud after the start of cAlgo. A normal work is almost impossible ...

I work with a MacPro with 8 double processors, Parallels Windows 7 (4Gb mem and 4 processors assigned to this VM) and this gives the same memory isues as my Windows 8 Asus laptop.

@jeex

PaulGekko
22 Oct 2015, 12:06

The memory problem is the biggest issue of cAlgo and cTrader. I open up to 15 charts at a time in cTrader and it uses all my RAM (4GB). Memory management is much less eficient than MT4.

I have just reported it on the spotware site, please vote to rise its priority. Thank you

http://vote.spotware.com/forums/229166-ideas-and-suggestions-for-ctrader-and-calgo/suggestions/10316478-ctrader-and-calgo-use-an-excesive-amount-of-memory

@PaulGekko

jani
20 Jan 2020, 13:16

NOTICE !!! Open indicator instances at Automate are using memory !!!

I thought that I had a memory leak issue with cTrader 3.6. as the platform was taking over 4Gb even when only one chart was open with no indicators attached (no cBots running)

Then I noticed I had many indicator instances left open at 'Automate' tab. each of these instances seems to take resources and that was causing the excessive memory-hogging!

@jani