Obsolete code

Created at 14 Sep 2018, 22:47
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
LA

lavio@gigalink.com.br

Joined 11.07.2017

Obsolete code
14 Sep 2018, 22:47

Two things:

1) When you build the cod and there is an "obsolete" warning, the caret focus goes to the last warning place in code.
This is very cumbersome because usually the programmar does not want to change from the place where it is. And then everytime he/she needs to look for the place in code where it was.

2) Why obsolete?
It works as it is. To change the code is a waste of time and source of potential new bugs.
So, why to bother with such methods? Let them as they are. Indeed, some of old ones I think are better.
Last time I tried to change the chart code  I had to write more non usefull code (!) than before just to get rid of those cumbersome messages when building the code. It was a drawback.

Thanks,

Lavio

@lavio@gigalink.com.br
Replies

PanagiotisCharalampous
17 Sep 2018, 12:49

Hi Lavio,

The obsolete warning warns developers that there is a newer and better method implementing this functionality. If you don't want to bother updating your code, it does not mean that other developers should not be informed about this.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

lavio@gigalink.com.br
17 Sep 2018, 16:22

RE:

Panagiotis Charalampous said:

Hi Lavio,

The obsolete warning warns developers that there is a newer and better method implementing this functionality. If you don't want to bother updating your code, it does not mean that other developers should not be informed about this.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

That was not my point. read again please.

Lavio

@lavio@gigalink.com.br

lavio@gigalink.com.br
17 Sep 2018, 17:28

RE: RE:

lavio@gigalink.com.br said:

Panagiotis Charalampous said:

Hi Lavio,

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

That was not my point. read again please.

Lavio

Point one:
When a method is labeled as "obsolete" usually it means it will be removed from future releases.
Then you say it is because it is "better".
Well, in my code, it was NOT better. On the contrary. So, my point is why to remove a method that  works fine and is easier to use than the new one? Let both methods as they are.

Point two:
It is a bad behavior to change the caret focus to the point in code where the "obsolete" code is.
If you was used to edit and build cbots you would understand. Every time you build the code, something you are testing in line 200 let's say, it changes to the line 800 where the obsolete is. Then you do the test... and want to change again something in line 200 code... but the focus point it is in line 800 ... and you need to look back for where line 200 is... now, do this 10, 20 times over and over and tell me if it is not a very stupid behavior for a "obsolete" code the programmer does not want to change!

Lavio

@lavio@gigalink.com.br