Who can access the source code?

Created at 17 Jul 2013, 15:27
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
SU

Sunbrick

Joined 17.07.2013

Who can access the source code?
17 Jul 2013, 15:27

This whole thing looks quite promising, but:

If I write a custom indicator and use it on a chart, I presume the code that I write has to be compiled?

If that is so, when using it, where does the source code reside and who has access to it, and where does the compiled code reside and who has access to it? Also, same question, with respect to a self-written robot that uses self-written custom indicators?

Perhaps a shorter way to ask the same question - can I protect the code that I write from anyone (and I really mean anyone) other than me reading/decompiling it?

@Sunbrick
Replies

hichem
17 Jul 2013, 17:23

The generated indicators & robots are .Net assembly files (.dll files)

I remember support has mentioned they are working on a way to totally protect your code, meanwhile you can obfuscate those files with the different obfuscating techniques available in the .Net framework

@hichem

kricka
17 Jul 2013, 19:54

Hi, 

we are all waiting for the encryption possibilities within cAlgo, as hichem mentioned the cAlgo team are working on it. Way to cumbersome to do it within Visual Studio. The best soloution would be to encrypt within the cAlgo platform itself. The cAlgo developer team have said, it "soon" will be available.

@kricka

Sunbrick
18 Jul 2013, 11:14

Ok, sounds reasonable I guess, but I'm still a little confused about all this talk of cloud hosting etc. - if I write a robot and some indicators and just want to use them for myself on my machine, where will the files have to be physically located? - Will they just be on my harddrive, or do they have to sit on some hosted solution elsewhere?

@Sunbrick