Save backtesting results

Created at 24 Oct 2017, 13:27
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!

irmscher9

Joined 22.12.2016

Save backtesting results
24 Oct 2017, 13:27

Hi there

So I'm backtesting my bots on quite long periods of times using "tick data from server (accurate)" mode. It takes quite some time to finish. I would like to be able to save the results for later study, because when my computer goes to sleep it crashes quite often or the cAlgo doesn;t repond after returning to sleep so I have to run the backtesting all over again and it's quite annoying because it takes a lot of time...

Any ideas?

Thanks

@irmscher9
Replies

PanagiotisCharalampous
24 Oct 2017, 14:57

Hi irmscher9,

We are planning to add the ability to export a report of backtesting and optimization results in the future. For now, if you have access to the cBot code, you can add some code to save positions to a csv file. E.g. use Positions.Closed event to append text to a file.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

irmscher9
24 Oct 2017, 15:26

Thanks.

@irmscher9

PanagiotisCharalampous
24 Oct 2017, 16:07

Something I forgot to mention is that you can export the history of backtesting and optimization results, if you right click inside the History tab and select "Export to Excel". I hope this helps!

@PanagiotisCharalampous

irmscher9
26 Oct 2017, 14:47

By the way, does a powerful processor speed up the backtesting process?

Is there a difference between i5 and i7?

@irmscher9

PanagiotisCharalampous
01 Nov 2017, 09:14

Hi irmscher9,

The answer is yes, a better processor should speed up backtesting.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

@PanagiotisCharalampous

lec0456
15 Nov 2017, 08:45

RE:

irmscher9 said:

By the way, does a powerful processor speed up the backtesting process?

Is there a difference between i5 and i7?

Its the ghz that will speed up backtesting.  More CPU cores does nothing to backtesting because the process will only use one processor no matter what.  The only thing having more cores will do it make sure other software doesn't interfere. Or for running 3 backtests at the same time.  Realize that sometimes its the Broker that is slowing things down.  If you suddenly have slow backtest performance, try backtesting with a different broker and see if it is faster. 

@lec0456

irmscher9
15 Nov 2017, 14:12

@irmscher9

victor.major
23 Feb 2020, 07:17

RE:

PanagiotisCharalampous said:

Something I forgot to mention is that you can export the history of backtesting and optimization results, if you right click inside the History tab and select "Export to Excel". I hope this helps!

Has saving optimisation results been addressed? I am using cTrader 3.7. It crashed before I could look at the optimisation results. Upon restart all the results were gone and I do not see any trace of any activity in History or Journal and I see no obvious way to access the optimisation results.

Please let me know that you are in fact saving them to a file somewhere and let me know where that file is.

V.

@victor.major

PanagiotisCharalampous
24 Feb 2020, 09:03

Hi victor.major,

The results are not saved in a file. As explained above, you can right click inside the History tab and select "Export to Excel".

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram

@PanagiotisCharalampous