Equity Chart Balance line and Quity line

Created at 04 Sep 2017, 22:38
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
CT

ctid362975

Joined 31.08.2017

Equity Chart Balance line and Quity line
04 Sep 2017, 22:38

Guys,

I am trying to read / understand the equity chart from the cAlgo backtester.  

The Balance line moves up and the equity line kind of flaots around until the the close where the balance line then crashes back down to join the equity line.  See th image.  Can someone explain to me whats going o?  I have extracted the trades out of the table and put them in Excel and it makes sense to me.

Thanks,

@ctid362975
Replies

Spotware
05 Sep 2017, 09:20 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:20 )

Dear Trader,

Thanks for posting in our forum. You equity at any time equals to the balance plus the unrealized net profit and loss. See screenshot below.

Here the equity is calculated with the following equation, €2500 + (-€4.72) = €2495.28.

In your case, what seems to be happening is that you are closing only profitable positions, causing the profit to be realized and your balance to be increased while the losing positions are keeping your equity low.

Best Regards,

cTrader Team

@Spotware

ctid362975
05 Sep 2017, 11:32 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:20 )

RE:

Spotware said:

Dear Trader,

Thanks for posting in our forum. You equity at any time equals to the balance plus the unrealized net profit and loss. See screenshot below.

Here the equity is calculated with the following equation, €2500 + (-€4.72) = €2495.28.

In your case, what seems to be happening is that you are closing only profitable positions, causing the profit to be realized and your balance to be increased while the losing positions are keeping your equity low.

Best Regards,

cTrader Team

Thanks guys,

I have found my problem.  Perhaps you could further help.  I enter a short position market trades higher I sell again to average - i believe my entryPrice should be a VWAP.  So I am looking for the market to go down so I may take profit against my VWAP entry.  But, its only taking trade size from the 

private long VolumeInUnits
        {
            get { return Symbol.QuantityToVolume(Quantity); }
        }

private void PlaceOrder()
{
 if (ActionType.Take == action.Type)
            {
                //Buy
                var takeProfit = GetPipsTarget(GetTimeZone(Time), TimeFrame, Direction.Buy);
                var stopLoss = GetPipsTargetStopLoss(GetTimeZone(Time), TimeFrame, Direction.Buy);;
                var result = ExecuteMarketOrder(TradeType.Buy, Symbol, VolumeInUnits, label, stopLoss, takeProfit, null, action.Comment);
                if (result.IsSuccessful)
                {
                    var position = result.Position;
                    Print("Position entry price is {0}", position.EntryPrice);
                }
                else
                {
                    if (!result.IsSuccessful)
                        Stop();
                }
            }
}

What I want it to do is take the total Short postion and close it without having to add any stoploss of takeProfit values.  

How should this be done?

Thanks,

@ctid362975

ctid362975
05 Sep 2017, 13:46 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:20 )

RE: RE:

ctid362975 said:

Spotware said:

Dear Trader,

Best Regards,

cTrader Team

Thanks guys,

I have found my problem.  Perhaps you could further help.  I enter a short position market trades higher I sell again to average - i believe my entryPrice should be a VWAP.  So I am looking for the market to go down so I may take profit against my VWAP entry.  But, its only taking trade size from the 

private long VolumeInUnits
        {
            get { return Symbol.QuantityToVolume(Quantity); }
        }

private void PlaceOrder()
{
 if (ActionType.Take == action.Type)
            {
                //Buy
                var takeProfit = GetPipsTarget(GetTimeZone(Time), TimeFrame, Direction.Buy);
                var stopLoss = GetPipsTargetStopLoss(GetTimeZone(Time), TimeFrame, Direction.Buy);;
                var result = ExecuteMarketOrder(TradeType.Buy, Symbol, VolumeInUnits, label, stopLoss, takeProfit, null, action.Comment);
                if (result.IsSuccessful)
                {
                    var position = result.Position;
                    Print("Position entry price is {0}", position.EntryPrice);
                }
                else
                {
                    if (!result.IsSuccessful)
                        Stop();
                }
            }
}

What I want it to do is take the total Short postion and close it without having to add any stoploss of takeProfit values.  

How should this be done?

Thanks,

Hey guys - I thinkg I have fixed this by converting all values from double to long and i send the volume amount that I want in a struct called action,

Thanks,

@ctid362975