Serious Bug Found - Heavy memory usage and freeze

Created at 22 May 2017, 11:15
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!

ClickAlgo

Joined 05.02.2015

Serious Bug Found - Heavy memory usage and freeze
22 May 2017, 11:15

Hi Spotware,

Version: FxPro 1.2

Today when I opened cAlgo the memory shot up above 1GB with no robots running, when I close the application, the instance was still in memory. The CPU was also high.

After I closed the application the instance was still running in memory as show below.

How I Resolved the Issue

To fix the problem I had to delete the entire directory shown below:

The memory is now running at aroun 250 MB

@ClickAlgo
Replies

ClickAlgo
22 May 2017, 12:26

If you are interested I can send you the FxPro-cAlgo folder contents zipped up. Just let me know if you wish to investigate.

@ClickAlgo

01 Jun 2017, 02:57 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:20 )

RE:

Hi Paul

I've got very similar issues to you - which are getting worse by the day. I've got two PCs running with cAlgo on both. One is Xeon with 16 GB RAM. The other is an i5 with 8GB RAM.

So, on the face of it, these two machines should be able to eat anything thrown at them.

Unfortunately thaat's not so. On occasions, my Xeon has reached over 50% CPU useage. It's gotten to the point where I dare not touch the screen while I'm optimizing for fear of sending cAlgo into some sort of effing loop which will then freeze the computer which in turn will mean I have to either reboor or End the Task via Task Manager as you have done.

The worst part about the whole thing is not that it's exhibiting this behavious but that I lose the backtesting results and so have to start over agaiin - and we all know that it takes forever to run a limited optimization on cAlgo.

One final thought: this behaviour has only gotten worse since the new 2.01 vewrsion was released. It was slow before, but I just had to accept that.

Now however, it's not just slow but DESTRUCTIVE.

Is there some other platform that I can use that doesn't have these problems?

Paul_Hayes said:

Hi Spotware,

Version: FxPro 1.2

Today when I opened cAlgo the memory shot up above 1GB with no robots running, when I close the application, the instance was still in memory. The CPU was also high.

After I closed the application the instance was still running in memory as show below.

How I Resolved the Issue

To fix the problem I had to delete the entire directory shown below:

The memory is now running at aroun 250 MB

@1013749

ClickAlgo
01 Jun 2017, 08:25

Hi,

If you are getting heavy CPU and memory usage if you are not running optimization or a back-test than delete the relevant folder and re-install cAlgo, this issue I only ever had once and it has been fine since with memory usage at around 250 mb.

If you are getting heavy CPU and memory usage while running optimization or a back-test than this all depends on how much work needs to be done, it is best to either have a seperate computer to run this on or at least leave your computer alone while the optimization process is running, remember alot of number crunching is happening and when it finishes your memory and cpu should drop back down to an acceptable level, if not take a look at using the memory manager app at the clicalgo.com webstore.

@ClickAlgo

Spotware
14 Jul 2017, 17:42

Dear traders,

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. We will be investigating this and work on improving the performace of cAlgo. In the meanwhile, any other information that would help us reproduce this behavior will be appreciated. We will keep you posted about this.

Best Regards,

cTrader Team

@Spotware

pavel.fnr
16 Jul 2017, 13:11 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:20 )

RE:

Hi there,

I use version 2.01.65534 and I also have problems with memory consumptions during backtesting.
Before debuggind my strategy code I just created an empty strategy and run it on a tick data in backtesting for approx 6 month.

I see that cAlgo process consumed > 2GB of data. The following screenshot is made right after progress bar was 100% but before experiment was finished.

Spotware said:

Dear traders,

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. We will be investigating this and work on improving the performace of cAlgo. In the meanwhile, any other information that would help us reproduce this behavior will be appreciated. We will keep you posted about this.

Best Regards,

cTrader Team

@pavel.fnr