Calculating P/L

Created at 15 Feb 2022, 12:26
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
AL

albiizeka

Joined 06.01.2022

Calculating P/L
15 Feb 2022, 12:26

Hi,

I saw a lot of threads here, that in order to calculate Lot Size in OPEN API we must follow Profit/Loss Calculation Tutorial provided there.

As i'm following the tutorial and trying to implement that on my code i have two things that i'm not understanding.

1. When i send the request at ProtoOASymbolsForConversionReq the response of it not returning bid and ask price to do this part of code:

fromAsset = "JPY"
toAsset = "USD"

// rate will be our conversion result
rate = 1

// symbols are the ProtoOASymbolsForConversionRes symbols field
symbols[] = ProtoOASymbolsForConversionRes(fromAsset,toAsset)

asset = fromAsset 

FOR symbol in symbols:
    IF positionDirection == SHORT:
        closePrice = symbol.ask
    ELSE:
        closePrice = symbol.bid

IF symbol.baseAsset == asset:
        rate = rate * closePrice
        asset = symbol.quoteAsset
    ELSE:
        rate = rate * 1 / closePrice
        asset = symbol.baseAsset

2. While reading the tutorial (maybe i'm missing something) the last part of code where is:

volume = positionVolumeMonetary / 100

My question here is where do we get this positionVolumeMonetary?

Regards, Albi!

@albiizeka
Replies

amusleh
16 Feb 2022, 10:11

Hi,

To convert a symbol price you have to have all the symbol conversion chain symbols latest bid/ask prices, you can get the bid/ask prices of the symbols by using ProtoOASubscribeSpotsReq/ProtoOASubscribeSpotsRes and ProtoOASpotEvent.

Regarding your second point, positionVolumeMonetary is the volume of position you want to get it's profit/loss in monetary units which is the unit that is used on Open API.

To get a position volume you can use either ProtoOAReconcileReq/ProtoOAReconcileRes in case position is already open or ExecutionEvent.

We have a working desktop app sample and a web app sample that calculates the positions PL and live accounts PL at: spotware/OpenAPI.Net: cTrader Open API .NET Rx library (github.com)

@amusleh