Backtesting OpenApi

Created at 16 Aug 2017, 16:30
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
TE

testcenter

Joined 18.04.2017

Backtesting OpenApi
16 Aug 2017, 16:30

Hey!

does anybody know, if it is possible to backtest an OpenApi client / bot?

Or is backtesting only possible if using cAlgo/cBots?

The reason why I ask, is that I want to create an bot using Java, as it would be running without any issues on Linux. (also my skills on Java are way better than C# :D )

@testcenter
Replies

Spotware
16 Aug 2017, 17:05

Dear Trader,

Thanks for posting your question in the forum. There is no out-of-the-box functionality to backtest strategies using Connect API, since this is beyond the scope of this API. If you need such functionality you will need to develop it yourself. If your plan is to develop automated robots, we encourage you to reconsider cAlgo and C#. If you have a good background in Java, then It will take you much less time to become proficient in C# than to rebuild the features of cAlgo from scratch. Regarding Linux, we believe that it will not add any real value to your solution.

Best Regards,

cTrader Team

@Spotware

testcenter
16 Aug 2017, 17:11

Thanks for your fast response! :D

So it would be possible to create tests on my own ?

Where would i get the data for the tests then? (tick data for specific pairs?)

Thanks for your suggestion to learn some C#. Unfortunately C# does not give any value to me, as I am software developer in Java, and i do not need C# anywhere -> so if it is possible to stick with Java, I would be really happy! :D

@testcenter

Spotware
16 Aug 2017, 17:17

Dear testcenter,

You can get tick data using the tick data request of Connect API. Please see more information here. Let us know if you need any additional information.

Best Regards,

cTrader Team

@Spotware

testcenter
16 Aug 2017, 17:19

I really like your fast response :D

Thank you very much!

I think, this will do all the trick :D

If I will need any further help, I will talk to you again!

Thanks again!

@testcenter