MessageBox blocking processing of DrawText

Created at 10 Oct 2022, 18:52
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
CO

couscousmckoy

Joined 07.02.2018

MessageBox blocking processing of DrawText
10 Oct 2022, 18:52

Good afternoon

Ive coded a cbot that identifies patterns on a chart and identifies them with letters.  These letters are added to the chart using the DrawText command.  Once A, B and C points appear on the chart I use a MessagBox to ask the user if they want to place an order.  A and B appear on the chart when I expect them to. The DrawText for point C appears to be blocked by the call to (modal) MessageBox (even though the DrawText (C) fires before MessageBox).  Once MessageBox is closed/acknowledged by the user the point C appears.  I've created a dummy exhibiting the same behaviour below.  Is there any way to force the system to process the DrawText before the MessageBox - as it would really help the user make the decision of whether to place the order if they could see all three points A, B & C? Or do I need to create a new thread (would stretch my programing skills, unless you can spell it out for me!).

Many thanks

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using cAlgo.API;
using cAlgo.API.Collections;
using cAlgo.API.Indicators;
using cAlgo.API.Internals;
using System.Windows.Forms;
using System.Windows;
using System.Media;

namespace cAlgo.Robots
{
    [Robot(AccessRights = AccessRights.FullAccess)]
    public class MyTest : Robot
    {

protected override void OnStart()
        {
            var text = Chart.DrawText("Text1", "Hello World", Bars.OpenTimes.LastValue, Bars.HighPrices.LastValue, Color.Red);
            MessageBox.Show("DrawText code not processed until after this MessageBox closes", "test", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Exclamation);
        }
    }

@couscousmckoy
Replies

firemyst
28 May 2023, 14:04

I see this thread hasn't been responded to, so thought I might say something in case it's still an issue? Or you'd like to revisit with a possible work around?

For starters, I would try this:

I haven't used it, but should allow for non-blocking operations because at the bottom of the page, it says, "While a message box is displayed, all other cBot/indicator events will be invoked normally."

Let us know how it works for you.

@firemyst