Difference between overriding OnBar/OnTick and subscribing to Bars.BarOpened/Tick event

Created at 25 Mar 2021, 16:52
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
JE

JerryTrader

Joined 06.01.2021

Difference between overriding OnBar/OnTick and subscribing to Bars.BarOpened/Tick event
25 Mar 2021, 16:52

Hello there,

Every samples I saw so far override virtual methods OnBar / OnTick of the Robot class, but I recently came across the Algo.Bars.BarOpened and Algo.Bars.Tick events, which are really handy !
And I'm wondering... Is there any differences of using the overrides instead of a classic event subscription ? Or are they two ways of doing the exact same thing (which can be confusing)?

From what I tested, it looks like the same, with a few more information on the BarOpened/Tick events:
- we can be notified of bars/ticks on other timeframes than the current one if we subscribe to another Bars
- we know from the Tick event if it is the first tick of a bar (really useful !)
- events are triggered and executed before the override methods

Overall, I feel like override methods are just there to satisfy MetaTrader developers, but that there is no reason to choose them over events.
Can someone confirm / deny ?

Thanks for your answers,
Cheers,
Jerry

@JerryTrader
Replies

amusleh
26 Mar 2021, 08:39

Hi,

BarOpened/Tick events were added in recent versions of Automate API, they were not available in older versions.

Both do the same thing but if you are developing a single time frame/symbol based indicator/cBot then you should use the overridden methods because that's much easier and you don't have to subscribe for the events, and if you are developing a multi symbol/ time frame indicator/cBot then you should use the BarOpened/Tick events.

@amusleh

JerryTrader
26 Mar 2021, 09:21

RE:

amusleh said:

Hi,

BarOpened/Tick events were added in recent versions of Automate API, they were not available in older versions.

Both do the same thing but if you are developing a single time frame/symbol based indicator/cBot then you should use the overridden methods because that's much easier and you don't have to subscribe for the events, and if you are developing a multi symbol/ time frame indicator/cBot then you should use the BarOpened/Tick events.

Ok, thanks for your detailed and precise answer !

Everything's clear

@JerryTrader