Basic Bars & Moving Average Question

Created at 17 Jul 2020, 03:22
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
RG

rgasch

Joined 14.12.2017

Basic Bars & Moving Average Question
17 Jul 2020, 03:22

I am writing a bot that looks at Renko candles in combination with a moving average. I have a basic question which is not answered anywhere in the docs and although I think I know the answer to my question, I'll ask it anyway in order to get a certain/definitive answer. For example, so see if the price of the last candle has overlapped the moving average value, I do this: 

var bar     = Bars.Last(1);
var maCurr  = ma.Result.Last(1);
return maCurr >= bar.Low && maCurr <= bar.High;

Now, my question is this (specifically for Renko charts, but my guess is that the answer should apply to all chart types): 

Does "Bars.Last(0)" return the currently active bar (ie: the bar which is still being painted/altered (for the case of Renko, the candle which has still not completed a move across the Renko pip size)) or does it return the latest closed/completed bar? Does the same logic hold for accessing moving-average values?

Another way of asking this: is my above code correct if I wish to check the value of the last closed/completed bar against the last completed MA value? 

Thank you & sorry for asking such a bonehead question, I'm just looking for a canonical answer. Either way, it might be good to add a statement clarifying this to the docs.

@rgasch
Replies

PanagiotisCharalampous
17 Jul 2020, 08:32

Hi rgasch,

Does "Bars.Last(0)" return the currently active bar (ie: the bar which is still being painted/altered (for the case of Renko, the candle which has still not completed a move across the Renko pip size))

Yes this is the case.

Does the same logic hold for accessing moving-average values?

Yes

is my above code correct if I wish to check the value of the last closed/completed bar against the last completed MA value? 

Yes

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram

@PanagiotisCharalampous

rgasch
17 Jul 2020, 11:45

RE:

Thank you for your confirmation ...

PanagiotisCharalampous said:

Hi rgasch,

Does "Bars.Last(0)" return the currently active bar (ie: the bar which is still being painted/altered (for the case of Renko, the candle which has still not completed a move across the Renko pip size))

Yes this is the case.

Does the same logic hold for accessing moving-average values?

Yes

is my above code correct if I wish to check the value of the last closed/completed bar against the last completed MA value? 

Yes

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram

@rgasch