Filter manual positions after timeframe

Created at 05 Dec 2013, 12:47
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!

Cerunnos

Joined 27.06.2013

Filter manual positions after timeframe
05 Dec 2013, 12:47

Hi ,

for a semi-automatic solution I want to know if it's possible to filter manual positions after relevant timeframe in a robot. So a separate strategy for manual positions with the time frame M30, H1 etc.
It could possibly succeed with Position.Comment, but then I had to comment each manual order. Is there another / simple solution?

Thanks

@Cerunnos
Replies

virtuesoft
05 Dec 2013, 14:00

In your robot add a label to each position. With your manual orders do not add a label. That way you can differentiate between the two. In the robot you can keep a list of the positions and fill it using the code below...

private IList<Position> GetOpenPositions()
        {
            IList<Position> positions = new List<Position>();

foreach (Position pos in Account.Positions)
            {
                if (pos.Label == _label)
                {
                    positions.Add(pos);
                }
            }

return positions;
        }

@virtuesoft

atrader
05 Dec 2013, 14:10

Why filter positions by timeframe? Or how does timeframe relate to a position?
You can filter positions by label, symbol and trade type with FindAll.

// pass the empty string as the label argument to find positions entered manually 
// and assign a label to positions opened by the robot

var positions = Positions.FindAll("", Symbol);
foreach (var position in positions)
{

}

@atrader

Cerunnos
05 Dec 2013, 14:19

Thanks for reply. The use of labels is already known to me. In this case I'm using no labels because only manual positions to be processed by my Robot. I want to filter manual positions by timeframe in one robot, because I have different exit strategies for each timeframe.
M30-position in XAU/USD -> m30-exit strategy in robot
H1-position in XAU/USD -> H1-exit strategy in robot

@Cerunnos

virtuesoft
05 Dec 2013, 14:34

RE:

Cerunnos said:

Thanks for reply. The use of labels is already known to me. In this case I'm using no labels because only manual positions to be processed by my Robot. I want to filter manual positions by timeframe in one robot, because I have different exit strategies for each timeframe.
M30-position in XAU/USD -> m30-exit strategy in robot
H1-position in XAU/USD -> H1-exit strategy in robot

I see what you mean. I can't see a way of identifying the timeframe other than manually updating the label after the manual trade has been made.

@virtuesoft

atrader
05 Dec 2013, 14:41

Why not create those positions by another robot (used just to open the positions) assigning the respective labels to them?

@atrader

Cerunnos
05 Dec 2013, 14:53

RE:

atrader said:

Why not create those positions by another robot (used just to open the positions) assigning the respective labels to them?

That would be a possibility. But then every time I'd have to log in on my VPS starting one of the two robots (m30 / H1) ...

@Cerunnos

Cerunnos
05 Dec 2013, 15:00

In cTrader there is no way to enter a label, but there is a comment field. I'll try to read it with postion.Comment. Maybe it works...

@Cerunnos

Cerunnos
05 Dec 2013, 16:41 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:20 )

Perhaps there is a better solution - but it works :-) With Position.Comment it is possible to communicate between cTrader and cAlgo. With a comment such as "m30" in cTrader a special routine "m30" in cAlgo can be executed. The following simple code can be used for semi-automatic system:

protected override void OnStart()
        {
          Positions.Opened += OnPositionsOpened;
        }

private void OnPositionsOpened(PositionOpenedEventArgs args)

{
         if (args.Position.Comment == string.Empty) // manual positions without comment in cTrader
          {
          Print("Manual Position #{0} is open", args.Position.Comment);

// Exit-Strategy 1 ...    
          }
         else if (args.Position.Comment == "m30") // manual positions in timeframe m30 - comment in cTrader "m30"

{
          Print("Manual Position in m30 #{0} is open", args.Position.Comment);

// Exit-Strategy 2 ...       
          }

else if (args.Position.Comment == "h1") //only manual positions in timeframe m30 - comment in cTrader "h1"

{
          Print("Manual Position in h1 #{0} is open", args.Position.Comment);

// Exit-Strategy 3 ...

}

}

@Cerunnos

jeex
05 Dec 2013, 18:12

Smart

Smart, thanks for the tip.

@jeex