Feedback for robots

Created at 01 Nov 2013, 02:45
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!

supafly

Joined 26.12.2012

Feedback for robots
01 Nov 2013, 02:45

I would really appreciate it if you guys could take a quick look at a couple of my robots and give me some feedback. Maybe you could spot something I might have missed. Thanks in advance.

The benchmark settings which I use to test all my robots are:

Account Size: 1000

Account Type: EUR

Volume: 1.0 lot

Spread: 1.0 pip fixed

Commissions: 0

Prices from: 1/1/2013 – current date

@supafly
Replies

wisek
01 Nov 2013, 08:06

1 year is nothing. Please show results for at least 2.5 years.

@wisek

Kate
01 Nov 2013, 09:34

2000% per year - unrealistic.

@Kate

Kate
01 Nov 2013, 09:41

OK, may be you use too much leverage, or trade volumes are too high. So you just need to choose proper capital and volume when go live.

@Kate

virtuesoft
01 Nov 2013, 09:56

Very good. Particularly your first robot. A drawdown of just 6% for that kind of return is excellent. Both robots have a smooth equity curve. It would be good to see how they have performed over the full backtesting period.

@virtuesoft

Cerunnos
01 Nov 2013, 11:17

Great work! From such a drawdown I still dream - my currently stands at just over 10%. Maybe you should use realistic commissions and because of your low number of trades 2 years of backtesting would be no disadvantage. Can you tell us something more about your highly successful trading system? Which indicators do you use?

@Cerunnos

supafly
01 Nov 2013, 13:02

Wisek – Does such a thing even exist? The market is very dynamic and you need to re-adapt to it, not the other way round. I’m guessing only a quant might achieve what you are saying. I have only displayed the results I am getting with recent market conditions.

Kate – Can you give me some numbers to work with? I have used a 1000 euro capital with a fixed 1.0 lot per position, intentionally making the robot risky, to see if I can make a substantial return with a very small start-up. In doing so, I focused on keeping a low maximum draw down, a high win to lose ratio and low consecutive losses while being as profitable as possible. Therefore if I decide to use a larger capital with the same trading volume and parameters the overall risk will be significantly lower. For example, in reference to the 2000% return you mentioned, if I use a capital of 10,000 euros, the max drawdown is only 3% with a profit of 20,000, totalling 30,000. I am also currently using these robots to trade live since all the live testing has been consistent.

Virtuesoft – Thank you. The robots do not perform that well if I put any dates before the 1/12/2012. I believe these robots will soon reach their expiration date. Just got to keep finding an edge!

Cerunnos – Thank you aswell. There is a good reason why I don’t use commissions in the back testing but even if I did, it would only have a minor effect on the profits and not on the trades since they are not scalping systems. As I mentioned before, I have lived tested and it remained consistent, that included commissions (65 euros per million) and normal spreads. I use NO indicators, oscillators or any tools. My strategies are based purely on price analysis since that doesn’t lag!

@supafly

algoforce
01 Nov 2013, 13:52

Re

Can you try with commission or higher spreads to compensate a little for slippage, yes?

@algoforce

Cerunnos
01 Nov 2013, 14:14

I am also of the opinion that there should exist only a few "miracle machines" that make constant profits over several years without changing the settings. My current live-robot has almost 30 parameters and because of the market dynamics I'll have to change the settings after a few months ..

@Cerunnos

supafly
01 Nov 2013, 14:46 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:20 )

Algoforce,

Since I only trade EURUSD, I have put the highest spread and the maximum commisions that are currently charged by a broker, to simulate worse case scenario. The rest of the parameters have remained the same.

@supafly

Hyperloop
01 Nov 2013, 22:18

You're trading 1.0 standard lots with $1000 initial balance. I would say that's a little bit over-leverage.

In order to run something like this, you would definitely need leverage greater than 100:1. Floating loss must also be factored when it comes to managing your margin.

@Hyperloop

Hyperloop
01 Nov 2013, 22:19

RE:

Cerunnos said:

I am also of the opinion that there should exist only a few "miracle machines" that make constant profits over several years without changing the settings. My current live-robot has almost 30 parameters and because of the market dynamics I'll have to change the settings after a few months ..

If it's not too much to ask, how do you go about knowing when to change these settings? Not to mention to what? 

@Hyperloop

Cerunnos
01 Nov 2013, 22:46

RE: RE:

Hyperloop said:

Cerunnos said:

If it's not too much to ask, how do you go about knowing when to change these settings? Not to mention to what?

If the backtesting results for a shorter period with adapted settings are much better than in comparison to the live robot. Then in my view it's time for a change ... Or not?

@Cerunnos

jeex
01 Nov 2013, 23:28

Beautiful

Looks promissing enough to me. Especialy the high % of wins. Can you share something about the indicators you used? 

@jeex

supafly
02 Nov 2013, 13:50

RE: Beautiful

Jeex,

I do not use any indicators, oscillators or any tools, only price analysis.

jeex said:

Looks promissing enough to me. Especialy the high % of wins. Can you share something about the indicators you used? 

@supafly

Kate
03 Nov 2013, 12:39

RE: RE: Beautiful

supafly said:

What kind of price analysis? Actually indicators and oscillators are also price analysis tools.

@Kate

supafly
03 Nov 2013, 21:08

RE: RE: RE: Beautiful

Good point! I cant really go in detail though...

Kate said:

supafly said:

What kind of price analysis? Actually indicators and oscillators are also price analysis tools.

@supafly

supafly
04 Nov 2013, 20:06 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:20 )

New update

@supafly

Cerunnos
05 Nov 2013, 10:32

Winning trades 68 / 69 ! One can hardly believe :-)
What do you mean by price analysis without indicators ? Do you mean price action? Are you working with the confluence of several parameters such as S&R, FTA, engulfing bars (BUEB / BEEB) etc.?

@Cerunnos

ampalermo@gmail.com
28 May 2016, 18:32

Impressive

Hi. The results are very impressive.

Could you please let me know what robot are you talking about? There aren't any references about in in the thread.

@ampalermo@gmail.com

supafly
28 May 2016, 20:36

RE: Impressive

ampalermo@gmail.com said:

Could you please let me know what robot are you talking about? There aren't any references about in in the thread.

I think everybody on this forum creates their own robots. 

@supafly

ampalermo@gmail.com
28 May 2016, 21:45

RE: RE: Impressive

Ok, thanks.

ampalermo@gmail.com said:

I think everybody on this forum creates their own robots. 

@ampalermo@gmail.com

derekszyszka
15 Oct 2016, 18:52

Can you share a copy of this code? I would be interested in doing some of my own tests.

@derekszyszka

cfatienza2
16 Oct 2016, 12:02

Yup code has to be share so everyone can do backtesting and can give more inputs and feedback.

@cfatienza2

kricka
21 Oct 2016, 18:33

Feedbacks regardless of sharing or not!

Codes do not have to be shared for traders to give their opinion on a cBot. What matters is, if the cBot gives a value to the trader in their arsenal of tools.

RMMRobot.com 

@kricka