optimization: 25 passes in 10 hours? Whats Wrong

Created at 25 Jan 2019, 11:52
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
TO

TonNcie

Joined 23.01.2019

optimization: 25 passes in 10 hours? Whats Wrong
25 Jan 2019, 11:52

XAUUSD 1H chart for 2 years with 6 parameters on Win10 core i5-3220CPU @ 5Ghz; 6Gb 1333Mhz

First few passes run ok but after a few the speed drops. taking 0-10% CPU 500-4500Mb memory
Memory & CPU actively changing constantly. Debugger shows a few separate threads are running (I set a breakpoint at onBar event to check)

Constantly losing connection (due to slow performance I guess) then automatically reconnects after a while.
waited 2 hours now passes = 26 though the highest shown pass is 16??

Questions

1. Why the difference between passes(26) and highest pasnumber (16)?

2. How to speed it up?

@TonNcie
Replies

PanagiotisCharalampous
25 Jan 2019, 12:09

Hi ctid711538.

Can you share the cBot? Also it is not clear what do you mean with highest pass number. Can you explain?

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

TonNcie
25 Jan 2019, 21:41 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:21 )

Hi Panagiotis

Sorry cant disclose cBot but it;'s a big one combining about 10 indicators.

The highest passnumber is the highest number in the list whilst there are 129 passes (See Picture below)

My assumption was that cTrader is overeating itself on Memory wgich casses mem swap activity.

To slow that down I set the CPU% consumption back to 50% instead of the standard  75% (thought that would give less parrallel threads)
Now I have 129 passes in 6 hours. Its still very slow but a big improvement. So I guess cTrader is adressing to much memory and forces the system to swap a lot.
By bringing down the CPU consumption the need to swap gets less causing the number of swaps to go down and therefor the speed to go up.
I don't know a lot about memmanagement but it seems to improve this way.
Hope it helps in getting a grip on the problem..

@TonNcie

PanagiotisCharalampous
28 Jan 2019, 11:50

Hi ctid711538,

Unfortunately without a cBot that reproduces the problem, it is not easy to guess what the problem could be. Especially when most of the optimization process is related with the execution of the cBot code itself. We first need to eliminate the possibility that this behavior is caused by the cBot code.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

TonNcie
28 Jan 2019, 12:42

Even if same cbot with reduced CPU consumption runs faster?? Come on Panagiotis just investigate your side and you'll be surprised. It was just something to help you guys improve the platform but if you don't want any ideas in where the problem may origin, just forget the problem exist.

@TonNcie

PanagiotisCharalampous
28 Jan 2019, 12:56

Hi ctid711538,

We do not dispute that you experience the problem. However hundreds of cBots are optimized daily and we have not received such a report. Therefore the issue must be very specific. Investigating a problem we cannot reproduce which happens executing code we cannot have is like searching a needle in a haystack. If you can reproduce the problem with another cBot e.g. one of the sample cBots, we would be happy to have a look.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

TonNcie
28 Jan 2019, 12:59

No need just told the customer that the conversion & optimisation is not going to work on ctrader. So problem solved.

@TonNcie

TonNcie
28 Jan 2019, 13:02

Still leaves the passnumber difference open.
The highest passnumber is the highest number in the list (70) whilst there are 129 passes (See Picture of a previous post)

@TonNcie