Awesome backtest rerformance - how reliable is the backtest?

Created at 18 Jul 2013, 19:08
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!

Nego

Joined 18.07.2013

Awesome backtest rerformance - how reliable is the backtest?
18 Jul 2013, 19:08

Hi Traders, Hi Coders, Hi Support Team,

I began to work with cAlgo just recently. First of all, concratulations to this powerful tool. I am sure many profitable robots will be created thanks to this great plattform. It is very convenient to code with cAlgo, although I am fairly new to the C# language. 

I finished a Robot and began to backtest it. Below you see the backtest results of a random setting. (By random I mean that I know the strategy pretty well and understand that there are better settings to find). It is made on EURUSD and tested it over a year.

I find the backtest results quite amazing, however I am not too confident that I will get the same results while forward testing. 

Now I am wondering how the tick data of the cAlgo backtesting tool are modeled. Is there any Information available?

Have a nice day everyone. 

Ps: If you have a strategy that you want to get encoded, feel free to contact me: nego@nego-forex.com. 

@Nego
Replies

Cerunnos
19 Jul 2013, 13:55

Hi Nego!

Profit factor, max. drawdown etc. looks good. But I don't think you can trade as high-volumes with an initial investment of only 1,000 euros :-) Otherwise, many traders would be rich very quickly (or vice versa) ...

@Cerunnos

algoforce
23 Jul 2013, 22:06

impresssive. make sure you add your live account to myfxbook

@algoforce

Nego
24 Jul 2013, 11:26

@ algoforce: Thank you, I will post results of the demo account every now and then. 

@Cerunnos: Unfortunately the trading volume came to its limit after the first 80 trades, otherwise you would see that there is an exponential growth due to a smart money management. the first 50 trades were executed with a small volume, until the account balance has increased. Feel free to ask any questions.

@Nego

emeeder
08 Feb 2015, 06:16

Thats probably the best chart i have ever seen.

What's the problem? Why not run it live?

Give me the code, i'll run a few test, and if results are similar i'll run it live and tell you if results are the same.

Kaworu
08 Feb 2015, 09:20

I think we're missing the question that the OP originally asked

backtesting is much like a simulation. its within a controlled environment and we're looking for the best settings on a previous record. the operating words here are "previous" and "best" which means that the settings may or may not be effective as it moves forward

I have a couple of robots running in a best setting right now and i'll try to monitor them over the week. these robots yielded me amazing results as well but since im skeptical, im using a very small account.

here's my suggestion. create a demo account and use your bot with your best setting.

oh and your chart is truly impressive, can you share your bot? peace! :D

@Kaworu