What exchange rate is used during backtesting?

Created at 26 Jun 2013, 01:15
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
AT

attilah

Joined 13.05.2013

What exchange rate is used during backtesting?
26 Jun 2013, 01:15

Hi!

While I'm developing  robot and running backtests I became curious that if I run the robot on EURUSD and my account is in CHF, you need to calculate the exchange rates, for each deal during the backtest, but its only possible if you're downloading tick data for EURUSD and other currency pairs which makes it possible to calculate real exchange rates.

Is my suspicion correct that you're not using real exchange rates for backtest, but a fixed value, like the first available value in the backtest?

This can make the backtests false in terms of balance and equity if 2 or 3 related currency rates has been changed a significant amount in real world during the test period.

Thanks,

Attila

@attilah
Replies

cAlgo_Development
26 Jun 2013, 11:07

Is my suspicion correct that you're not using real exchange rates for backtest, but a fixed value, like the first available value in the backtest?

Yes, we use live rate available at the moment you start backtesting. Generally backtesting measures the performance of your strategy itself. If you have two different strategies that have similar performance on EURUSD, conversion to CHF will affect both strategies approximately equally. Note, that broker does not convert funds from you account to the currency you buy or sell, only profit/loss is converted.

@cAlgo_Development