Connection Quality Indicator

Created at 30 Jul 2013, 17:53
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!

cAlgo_Development

Joined 20.02.2013

Connection Quality Indicator
30 Jul 2013, 17:53

Connection Quality indicator in the bottom-right corner shows round-trip latency to proxy, server and overall connection stability.

cTrader and cAlgo don't establish connection to the server directly. Connection is established to the nearest available proxy in order to have more stable connection. Indicator in the bottom-right corner displays two latencies: Proxy latency and Server latency. For example, if you see "53 ms / 338 ms" it means that round trip to the proxy you are currently connected to is 53 ms and round trip to the server is 338 ms. In the popup window you also can see the name of the proxy, which reflects it geographical position.

Right after latency information you can see bar-indicator that displays the overall stability of the connection. If all four bars are white, your connection is very stable. If only one bar is white and three bars are grey - it's very unstable, it means that network messages are delayed frequently and there is a possibility of disconnection.

New version with connectiuon quality indicator is released on our demo (can be downloaded from www.spotware.com )

@cAlgo_Development
Replies

kricka
31 Jul 2013, 11:33

Hi,

thanks for the Connection Quality indicator. Its a very important feature and the bar-indicator as well. No need to ping the server anymore. :)

@kricka

kricka
18 Aug 2013, 02:50

Great that you made the change to give us even more accurate reading on the latency to the severs.

Please give us additional info about the latency given to the Proxy and the brokerage server.

1. Proxy server is the first server to handle the request of an order, lets say (60ms).

2. Next is the latency to the brokerage server handed over from the Proxy server. (50ms)

So the total latency to get an order executed in this scenario is 110ms for a round trip? 

Thanks..

@kricka

cAlgo_Development
23 Aug 2013, 17:38

Server latency is total latency from client to server. No we show one-way latency, so it's total one-way latency to server.

@cAlgo_Development

kricka
23 Aug 2013, 21:30

Thanks for clarifying. Lets say the server latency is 25ms for a one way trip. By having the VPS in London what is your estimate the latency will end up at, 5ms?

@kricka

cAlgo_Development
26 Aug 2013, 17:19 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:20 )

Yes, if you use London-based VPS you have latency below several milliseconds:

@cAlgo_Development

Hyperloop
25 Nov 2013, 23:02

Am I correct in saying that the proxy is for stability, whereas the actual order routing, and price feeds is still dependent on the server latency?

@Hyperloop

Spotware
28 Nov 2013, 12:36

RE:

Hyperloop said:

Am I correct in saying that the proxy is for stability, whereas the actual order routing, and price feeds is still dependent on the server latency?

Yes, you are correct.

@Spotware

AlexanderRC
17 Mar 2014, 13:24 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:20 )

In cTrader/cAlgo there are no longer traffic in and out.

Why has is been removed?

@AlexanderRC

Spotware
17 Mar 2014, 14:13

Traffic in and traffic out are hidden in case if our application can not find some PerformanceCounters in your operation system.

@Spotware

AlexanderRC
17 Mar 2014, 16:12

RE:

Spotware said:

Traffic in and traffic out are hidden in case if our application can not find some PerformanceCounters in your operation system.

Can you name any specifics?

I am running on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 with all the latest patches from Windows Update.

@AlexanderRC

Spotware
17 Mar 2014, 16:18

We use "Bytes Received" and "Bytes Sent" performance counters. By some reason they are missing on your machine.

@Spotware

AlexanderRC
17 Mar 2014, 17:27

RE:

Spotware said:

We use "Bytes Received" and "Bytes Sent" performance counters. By some reason they are missing on your machine.

Are these counters per process and/or per interface specific?

I had two interfaces connected. One is physical LAN, and the other is LAN-like VPN interface.

I tried to disable all of the interfaces except the physical one. That did not help.

I tried to uninstall all of the adapters from Network Connections folder. That also did no help.

So there seems to be some other reason why these counters are not available to the cTrader.

I tried to install Spotware cTrader demo into a fresh virtual machine. There are no traffic counters there either.

@AlexanderRC

AlexanderRC
25 Mar 2014, 20:01

Is it a bug?

@AlexanderRC

Spotware
26 Mar 2014, 10:30

It is not a bug. In some environments (virtual machines, some specific versions of Windows) we can not retrieve traffic data. In such cases traffic indicators are hidden.

@Spotware

cprcrack
17 Feb 2015, 17:13

Traffic in and traffic out are not available for me in Windows 7 Professional x64 running as admin. Would be really useful to see the bandwidth my bots are using...

@cprcrack

brosnet
17 Jun 2015, 01:23

RE:

Spotware said:

Hello,

As I couldn't find a vps with a stable connection below 1ms to your cServer located in London-3, i was trying to develop a switch based on the current latency.

I am trying to figure out which of the Performance Counters you are using to define the Proxy Latency and Server Latency. 

Any suggestion?

@brosnet

Spotware
17 Jun 2015, 12:49

Dear Trader,

We do not use performance counters to define latency. We use performance counters only to measure traffic  

@Spotware

brosnet
17 Jun 2015, 23:54

RE:

Spotware said:

Dear Trader,

We do not use performance counters to define latency. We use performance counters only to measure traffic  

Do you suggest any way to misure the latency in the same way of the platform?

A simply ping doesn t give the same value.

if the latency is below 1ms my algo is profitable, otherwise I end up in loss.

I m looking for a way to check it programmatically. It would be useful to know how the platform calculates it.

@brosnet

Spotware
18 Jun 2015, 12:56

Dear Trader,

There is no way to obtain server latency and proxy latency through cAlgo.API. We will consider providing this ability in the future.

@Spotware